FORTUNE - A GAME OF LUCK - INSTRUCTIONS
- In the original version of the game, each player starts with 20 coins.
- The deck is shuffled and placed face down in the center of the table.
- A cup is placed next to the deck.
- Players then take turns drawing cards from the top of the deck and following the instructions associated with each symbol.
- Drawn cards are placed face up on a discard pile.
- When all cards have been drawn, the discard pile is shuffled and placed face down to be drawn from again.
- When a player has run out of coins, they are out of the game.
- The last remaining players takes the contents of the cup and has won the round.
LEAVES - Put one coin in the cup
POPPIES - Put two coins in the cup
ORCHIDS - Put three coins in the cup
FOUNTAIN - All players put one coin in the cup
SUNS - Take one coin from the player to the left
STARS - Take two coins from the player to the left
HEARTS - Take three coins from the player to the left and skip their turn
RAIN - Take one coin from each player
CROSSES - Give one coin to each player
RIVER - Give three coins to the player to the right
SNAKE - Take all the coins in the cup
VARIATION - RESURRECTION
You may give players who are out of the game the opportunity to return to the game when the RIVER or CROSSES card is drawn.
VARIATION - ONE SNAKE
There are two SNAKE cards in the deck. For a greater challenge, you can remove one of them.
What type of coins should we use?
Quarters are recommended, but you can use coins of any denomination.
Do we need to use coins?
No, you can use kidney beans, lima beans, jelly beans, anything kind of bean really.
Do we need to start with 20 coins?
No, you can start with any number of coins, as long as each player starts with the same amount. Fewer coins will shorten play while more coins will extend play.
What if the snake is drawn and there are no coins in the cup?
The player receives no coins and play continues.
Can you play with just two people?
Yes, in this case the player to your left and the player to your right is the same person.
What happens if I need to give someone more coins than I have?
You give that player what you have and are out of the game.
What happens if I draw the CROSSES card but don't have enough to give to each player?
You can either begin distributing coins with the player on the left and go clockwise until you run out, or you can put your remaining coins in the cup.
FORTUNE - END OF THE RAINBOW - INSTRUCTIONS
- In this version of the game, cards are shuffled and each player is dealt seven cards.
- The remaining cards are placed face down in the center of the table.
- The first player may play any card they want to, and places that card face up in the center of the table.
- The next player must lay down a DIFFERENT card of the SAME color, or a card that is the next color in the rainbow. (RED > ORANGE > YELLOW > GREEN > BLUE > VIOLET > RED)
- If a player cannot lay down any of the cards in their hand, they draw from the deck.
- If they can play the drawn card, they may lay it down and their turn is over.
- If they cannot play the drawn card, they hold onto it, and it is the next player's turn.
- The first player to run out of cards wins the round.
VARIATION - WILD SNAKE
Players can agree for the snake to be wild, meaning it can be played at any time, regardless of what card comes before it. Once the snake is played, the next player must play the LEAVES card or a BLUE card.
VARIATION - FLOWER POWER
Players can agree for the POPPIES and ORCHIDS cards to be compatible with each other, meaning if the last card laid down is POPPIES, the next player can play the ORCHIDS card and vice versa.